From a new Apple Chairman – replacing Steve Jobs, to a worsening outlook for the UK economy and UK hostages held on a plane, it has been a very busy week in the business world!!
Below is this weeks Business News Quiz. Click here for a printable version along with the answers and web links so that you can discuss some of the news stories with your classes.
- Why were passenger’s held ‘hostage’ in Vienna, on a Comtel Air flight from India to the UK?
It was demanded they pay £20 000 in fuel tax ( )
The food & drink hadn’t been loaded onto the plane( )
There was a technical fault with the wing ( )
There was a missing passenger who really wanted to get on the flight ( )
- Inflation in India has stayed high in October at what level?
9.73% ( )
10.73% ( )
11.73% ( )
12.73% ( )
- Dubai based airline, Emirates have placed an order for 50 Boeing 777s worth how much?
$15bn ( )
$18bn ( )
$25bn ( )
$28bn ( )
- How has the UK job’s market been described this week? There will be a….
“Sharp rise in the number of jobs available” ( )
“Small increase in available jobs“( )
“Painful decrease in the number of vacancies” ( )
“Slow painful contraction, with firms delaying recruitment” ( )
- Easyjet’s pre-tax profits have risen in the year to September 30th from £154m to £248m, what are they claiming is the reason for this increase?
The new special seating plan they offer ( )
A major change in marketing strategy ( )
Ryanair’s decrease in passenger numbers ( )
The increase in business travel numbers ( )
- The UK’s unemployment figure has risen to what all time high level this week?
2.62m ( )
3.55m ( )
4.32m ( )
5.13m ( )
- Google have just announced that they are to launch what?
An android based online music store ( )
A new tablet computer ( )
A new PC to challenge the at home market ( )
Branded cuddly toys in time for Christmas ( )
- Which of the Young Apprentice candidates was fired this week after a ‘selling to the over 50’s’ task?
Ben Fowler ( )
Lewis Roman ( )
Hannah Richards ( )
Lizzie Magee ( )
- After the departure of Steve Jobs, who has replaced him as Chairman of the Board at the world’s most valuable company: Apple?
Arthur Levinson ( )
Robert Iger ( )
Ronald Sugar ( )
Andrea Jung( )
- Manchester United’s revenues have risen in the 3 months to September to what level?
£91.5m ( )
£52.4m ( )
£66.7m ( )
£73.8m ( )
Teacher of Business Studies Notre Dame College & Senior Examiner for AQA