Here at Collins we’re celebrating International Literacy Day by gearing up for our global Collins Big Cat Writing Competition which launches on Monday 10th September.
Challenge your pupils to write a 300-500 word children’s story in English on the theme of bravery and courage.
The competition is open to and completely free for all schools to take part in different regions across the globe:
- UK and Ireland
- Middle East
The stories will be judged by award-winning authors Chris Bradford and Joanna Nadin within two categories:
- Category 1: ages 5-7 (UK Key Stage One)
- Category 2: ages 8-11 (UK Key Stage Two)
Schools can submit up to two entries each, one per category.
The competition will consist of a regional final where a winning school will be chosen in each of the eight global regions per category. The regional winners will be shortlisted to compete for the Grand Final prize where one overall winner will be chosen per category.
Regional Finalist prizes:
- Stories published on the Collins website
- A Collins Big Cat goodie bag filled with books on the theme of bravery and courage
- £200 worth of Collins books
- An engraved shield
As well as the above the Grand Final winners will also win:
- A trophy for their school
- Their winning stories to be transformed into videos, and read aloud by a Collins Big Cat author
Free teaching resources to support the writing competition and to educate pupils about the writing process are available to download from the website.
Be brave like a Big Cat and enter our competition! Good luck.
The Collins Big Cat team